Dr. Rous’ outside interest include his family, physical fitness, bicycling, and nutrition. He is a past member of the Lance Armstrong Foundation.
Dr. Rous’ career has fortuitously enabled him to be along the leading edge of many of the modern advances in ophthalmology over the past 30 years.
In the 1980s, he developed an FDA–approved intraocular lens.
In 1990, when most cataract surgery was a large incision, multiple stitch procedure, Dr. Rous was among the earliest ophthalmologists to perform small incision, no–stitch surgery. He has lectured and instructed at national meetings on cataract surgery, intraocular lenses, and no–stitch cataract surgery.
In 1996 he was among the first surgeons in the country to perform LASIK. His early training in Radial Keratotomy (RK), AK, and Automated Lamellar Keratoplasty (ALK) provided a smooth transition to LASIK once the Excimer Laser became FDA approved.
In the early 2000’s, he developed a simplified anesthesia technique for cataract surgery which can also be applied to other eye surgery procedures. Dr.Rous’ work on “Simplified sub-Tenon’s Anesthesia, as well as other papers, have been published in several peer-reviewed journals. In recent years, Dr. Rous has incorporated into his practice the latest intra-ocular lens technology which includes the FDA approved Restor® and Tecnis® multifocal lenses to help patients see distance and near without glasses and the Toric intra-ocular lenses which helps correct astigmatism. And, the newest technology, “Laser Assisted Cataract Surgery” will be available by the end of 2013.
Dr. Rous is also a Clinical Assistant Professor at Nova–Southeastern University.
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- Bachelor of Arts, 1965
- New Jersey College of Medicine, Newark, NJ
- Doctor of Medicine, 1965–1969
- Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, Newark, NJ
- Associated Eye Residencies New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Residency 1970–1973; Chief Resident 1973
- Florida State License, 1972
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology, 1975
- Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Broward County Ophthalmological Society
- International Society of Refractive Surgeons
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
Current Hospital & Outpatient Affiliations
- Westside Regional Hospital, Plantation, FL
- Foundation for Advanced Eye Care
- Available upon request