Dr. Bizer is a leader in refractive surgery and has performed LASIK, LASEK, PRK, PTK and RK. Furthermore, he is one of only 50 eye surgeons in the United States who is credentialed to teach and certify other ophthalmologists in the operation of the VISX Excimer Laser for refractive and photo–therapeutic eye surgery. He has trained approximately 500 ophthalmologists, residents, and fellows in using this new surgical technology.
Dr. Bizer’s 34–year career in ophthalmology can be summarized by six attributes: friend, listener, ophthalmologist, eye surgeon, teacher, and leader.
Dr. Bizer likes to say that he “specializes” in listening to his patients, something that many doctors today seem to have too little time to do. He treats each of his patients as if they were his close personal friends.
As an Ophthalmologist, his scope of services is comprehensive — routine eye examinations and diabetes evaluations, to glaucoma control and emergency eye care, and macular disease and headache evaluations. He readily refers patients to sub–specialist ophthalmologists, when appropriate.
As an eye surgeon, Dr. Bizer was the first eye surgeon in South Florida to implant intra–ocular lenses during cataract surgery that could be folded and placed in the eye without need for larger incisions. He is a leader in cataract surgery without stitches and is one of the few ophthalmologists in our community conducting cataract surgery with topical eye drop anesthesia, meaning there is no need for shots.
As a teacher, Dr. Bizer is Professor of Ophthalmology at Nova–Southeastern University, where he is chairman of the Ophthalmology Department. Dr. Bizer has taught ophthalmology to the medical students at NSU since 1984, the year the medical school was established.
Dr. Bizer is a leader in refractive surgery and has performed LASIK, LASEK, PRK, PTK and RK for many years and pioneered new surgical techniques for correcting far–sightedness. Dr. Bizer has taught and certified approximately 600 ophthalmologists to use the VISX Excimer Laser for laser refractive surgery.
Dr. Bizer was the second osteopathic ophthalmologist in the country to represent the members of the American Osteopathic College of Ophthalmology to the Council of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He continues to serve the AAO as a media spokesperson. Dr. Bizer is a past chairman of the department of surgery and past chief of staff of his hospital. He served as President of the Broward County Osteopathic Medical Association, and distinguished himself as National President of the American Osteopathic College of Ophthalmology, from which he has received many prestigious awards.
- University of Louisville
- Bachelor of Arts, 1966
- Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Doctor of Osteopathy, 1972
- Detroit Osteopathic Hospital, 1972-1973
- Detroit Osteopathic Hospital & Kresge Eye Institute of Wayne State University
- Ophthalmology, 1973–1976
- American Osteopathic Board of Ophthalmology, 1981
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Miami Ophthalmology Society
- Broward County Ophthalmological Society
- American Osteopathic College of Ophthalmology
- American Osteopathic Association
- Florida Osteopathic Medical Association
- Broward County Osteopathic Medical Association
- Florida Society of Ophthalmology
Current Hospital & Outpatient Affiliations
- Westside Regional Medical Center, Plantation, FL
- Foundation for Advanced Eye Care, Sunrise, FL
- Outpatient Surgical Services, ASC, Plantation, FL